When citing data retrieved from online databases and web sites, the following elements are typically included in a citation:
- Author - individual author(s) or an agency or organization
- Year of publication - in parentheses, if available
- Title of the data set or original study
- Publisher or location of the data archive
- Edition or version
- Access information - a URL or database name
- Date of access - preceded by Retrieved
Some style guides, databases and data centers recommend or provide citation formats.
How to Cite Data (Michigan State University Library research guide)
Bauder, Julia. "Citing Data" In Reference Guide to Data Sources, 151-153. Chicago: ALA Editions, 2014. ProQuest Ebook Central.