Skip to Main Content

Help With ~ RefWorks: Alumni Access

Graduating Seniors

Are alumni able to access RefWorks after graduation?
Yes. As long as Hamilton maintains a current subscription to RefWorks the library will be able to offer alumni access to RefWorks.

Seniors should update their RefWorks account prior to graduation.
Follow these steps.

  1. Login to your RefWorks account.
  2. Change your Role from Student to Alumni. Go to Settings, under Role, select Alumni.
  3. Change your email address if you no longer have access to your e-mail account.
  4. Remove the Shibboleth institutional login from your account (if you created and access your account using your Hamilton user ID and password). Under Institution Credentials, click Remove Credentials.

Can I save just my references and delete my RefWorks account?
Yes. Follow these steps.

  1. Login to your RefWorks account.
  2. Click Share, select Export References.
  3. Choose an export format (BibTeX, RIS, Tab Delimited, XML).
  4. Save the file to your computer. You can then import the references into another citation manager.
  5. To delete your RefWorks account, go to Settings, scroll down and select Remove My RefWorks Account.

I need more help
Ask a Librarian.
How to convert to an alumni account after graduation.


I am a Hamilton or Kirkland College alum. Can I use RefWorks?
Yes. Please contact Hamilton's RefWorks administrator to request an account. Send your full name, class year, and email address to: Once your alumni status has been verified
you will be sent an invitation to create an account.

I had a RefWorks account as a student. Is my account still active?
Possibly. If your account was created on the legacy platform (retired in June 2023), we recommend that you request a new RefWorks account (see instructions above).

Hamilton College, 198 College Hill Road, Clinton, NY 13323 • 315-859-4735 • Copyright © 2017 The Trustees of Hamilton College. All rights reserved.