Skip to Main Content
Research Starting Points
Have a plan when conducting research:
- Think of questions about your topic, and search in databases.
- After reading articles, think about what interests you. Ask new questions, and look for more information.
Find the starting point:
- OneSearch- Searches books, articles, audio and video files, images, government documents, and more. All Searches
- Academic Search Premier - Indexes journals across disciplines. General Searches
- Subject Guides - See We Suggest sections for discipline-specific databases. Advanced Searches
- How Do I Find... - News sources, images, statistics, primary sources, and more. Targeted Searches
Keep searches simple.
- Start with a keyword search
- Enter no more than two or three words connected by the word AND
- Focus your search by using subject headings
Refine your search.
- Repeat your search after reading some of the information gathered in the previous step
- Mine the bibliographies of articles on your topic for additional sources
Hamilton College, 198 College Hill Road, Clinton, NY 13323 • 315-859-4735 • Copyright © 2017 The Trustees of Hamilton College. All rights reserved.