Skip to main content
Writing with RefWorks
RefWorks offers several methods to insert and format citations, footnotes, and bibliographies while writing.
- RefWorks Citation Manager
- Write-N-Cite (for older versions of Word, 2013 and below)
- Google Docs Add-On
- Quick Cite
RefWorks Citation Manager - updated May 2020
RefWorks Citation Manager (RCM) is a plugin for Microsoft Word that lets you run a simplified version of RefWorks inside Word.
- Available for Mac and Windows
- Compatible with Word 2016, 2019, and Office 365
- RCM is available through the Microsoft Store and can be installed directly from Microsoft Word
Installing RefWorks Citation Manager (Windows)
Installing Reference Citation Manager (Mac)
- In Microsoft Word, select Insert > Add-ins > Get Add-ins
- Search for RefWorks. RefWorks Citation Manager will be displayed. Select Add.
- Once the Add-in is installed you will see RCM in the top menu bar of Word.
- Select the RCM tab and click the RCM button. The RCM pane opens on the right side of the document.
- Log into RefWorks.
How to Use RefWorks Citation Manager
Write-N-Cite is a plugin for older versions of Microsoft Word that lets you run a simplified version of RefWorks inside of Word.
- Windows 7,8,10 - compatible with Word 2008, 2010, 2011, 2013
- Mac OSX 10.6+ - compatible with Word 2008, 2011
How to Download, Install and Use Write-N-Cite
Hamilton College, 198 College Hill Road, Clinton, NY 13323 • 315-859-4735 • Copyright © 2017 The Trustees of Hamilton College. All rights reserved.